If you’ve been injured in an accident, you may be wondering if it is worth it to hire an attorney or if you can pursue compensation on your own. In this blog, we take the time to explain why it is in your best interests to work with a personal injury lawyer.
You should work with a personal injury attorney for the following reasons:
- An attorney is familiar with the legal process. Having handled numerous personal injury cases in the past, a lawyer is familiar with the laws that apply to your case and knows how to prepare a strong case seeking full and fair compensation for your losses. Without experience, a person attempting to handle their case themselves could end up inadvertently doing or saying something that could cost them the favorable outcome they are seeking.
- Having an attorney on your side improves your odds of receiving a fair payout. Going against an insurance company on your own can be a formidable task, especially since insurance companies have teams of attorneys on their side that routinely fight to shield the insurer from liability. They know they have the knowledge and bargaining power necessary to protect themselves from paying anything but the lowest settlement possible, and they count on people not representing themselves in order to easily prevail.
- An attorney knows the true value of your claim. Most people don’t know how much money they can get from their claims, which is why working with an attorney is crucial. An attorney who has handled numerous personal injury cases knows what kinds of compensation to pursue to maximize the value of a claim, including property damage, medical expenses, lost wages and/or earning capacity, pain and suffering, and more.
- An attorney is motivated to win. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if they win money for their client. How does this benefit you? You will have a legal professional who has experience handling insurance companies on your side who is motivated to get you the highest settlement possible as quickly as possible.
- An attorney can take your case to trial, if necessary. Although most personal injury cases do not go to trial, it can be enough for you to have a lawyer on your side who can go to trial in order to make the insurance company more likely to offer an equitable settlement.
If you have been hurt in a preventable accident that wasn’t your fault, you should speak with a lawyer right away about your potential legal options. Since 1971, Leavitt, Yamane & Soldner has proudly served the needs of injured people in Honolulu and throughout Hawaii. With decades of combined experience, you can trust that we know what it takes to fight for the best results possible.
Contact us today to speak with a Honolulu personal injury attorney about your case.